Paula Stone Williams visited Portland in October and sat down with Adam to talk about her story coming out as a transgender woman inside of evangelical culutre as well as the future of the church.
"It's all gonna burn anyways." Raise your hand if you've heard this from someone in or near church before. The thing is, it actually is burning and this is not God's original dream for our earth. We each are called to "serve and protect" God's beautiful earth. Join us for our monthly Bible study in a bar - we'll be in the upper room at Century. Grab a pint or a ginger ale and some nachos and lean in with us as we look at integrated, holistic opportunities to care for creation and love our neighbors.
Jules Bailey joins Adam for the second Public Theology. Adam starts by walking through some thoughts on intentional citizenship and America's post, present and possible futures followed by a chat with Jules about his background in politics and desires to take part in our collective civic experience.
Here are a few links to things that were mentioned during the evening:
- Myths America Lives By: Richard Hughes: Trade Paperback: 9780252072208: Powell's Books
- ‘What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?’ by Frederick Douglass | The Nation
- T.J. Miller Says Leaving 'Silicon Valley' "Felt Like a Breakup" | Hollywood Reporter
- Jefferson Bible - Wikipedia
- What Is the Doctrine of Discovery? Why Should It Be Repudiated? (factsheet) | New York Yearly Meeting
- New Jim Crow Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness: Michelle Alexander: Hardcover: 9781595581037: Powell's Books
- Sojourners | Faith in Action for Social Justice
- Bread for the World
- Serving the Vulnerable Across the World | World Relief
- Home - ONE | ONEJoin the fight against extreme poverty
- Equal Justice Initiative |
- Bryan Stevenson: We need to talk about an injustice | TED Talk | TED.com
- Repairers of the Breach
- Brothers Karamazov A Novel in Four Parts with Epilogue: Fyodor Dostoevsky, Richard Pevear, Larissa Volokhonsky: Trade Paperback: 9780374528379: Powell's Books
- Amadeus (1984) - IMDb
We had 50 people show up for our first Public Theology event, which is basically a Bible study in a bar with vegan nachos. We talked about God, love, sexuality and the Bible & how to relate the best we can with our angry uncles who watch too much of that one cable news network.
Adam Phillips starts off by walking us through the six verses everyone who's thought about how LGBTQ folks relate to the church have wrestled with - you can follow along with him in this blog post.
Matthew Berryessa joins in to talk about his story finding a church home with his husband and son, as well as sharing their home to build community for people that desperately needed it.