We're moving to Rose City Park on June 3rd
A note from Pastor Adam Phillips:
I’m excited to share we have a new location lined up for Sunday worship and more!
We’re moving to Rose City Park United Methodist Church (5830 NE Alameda St) near the Hollywood and Alameda neighborhoods. It’s literally just off NE Sandy and central to I-5, 84 and 205. I couldn’t be more happier with where we’ve landed.
We’ve gathered downtown at First Christian Church now for three years. In some ways, it’s a return for us to NE Portland as we originally launched in the community room at Friends of the Children near MLK.
Some six months ago we came to the realization that we were outgrowing our space at FCC downtown and sensing a call to a different kind of context. I love downtown. I have a heart for downtown, and I know many of us share a passion for being at the center of the city. But it turns out, downtown is difficult to get to for many of our folks, rent is incredibly expensive and many Portlanders never cross the bridges if they don’t have to.
We’ve looked far and wide and visited dozens and dozens of spaces but none of them met our needs, which include:
- space for our growing children’s ministries
- ability to gather in “primetime” Sunday morning
- meeting space beyond Sundays
- good parking and public transit options
Rose City Park UMC is a church in transition looking to use their facilities in bold, innovative ways. One of the first open and affirming congregations in the state of Oregon, they’re thrilled that we’re moving in with our deep commitment to inclusion. They overwhelmingly voted to move their own worship time up to 9am so that we could worship at 11am. We’re grateful for interim pastor Rev. Steve Ross for his partnership in arranging a great rental agreement and to Rev. Erin Martin, District Superintendent for the Columbia District of the Oregon-Idaho Conference of the United Methodist Church who first planted the seed of possibility. I’m also excited to be reunited, you could say, with Do Good Multnomah and Chris Aiosa, a friend of mine running the city’s best Veterans overnight shelter. We’re excited about a number of partnership opportunities.
Here are the essentials:
- Our rental agreement includes an incredible rate - starting out at $600 a month and incrementally climbing to $750 in the Fall and arriving at $1200 in May 2019. This rate also happens to be the best we’ve found in town.
- We are committing to a one-year agreement, with the possibility/hope of a longer term agreement next year
When do we move?
- Our final worship gathering at FCC will be May 20th at 10:30am.
- We will not have a worship gathering on Sunday May 27th (Memorial Day Weekend) at FCC. If you’d like to have a sneak peak of our new digs, feel free to join me in worship with Rose City Park as I’ll be guest speaking at their Sunday gathering at 10am (they’re last at that time).
- Our first Sunday worship at Rose City Park UMC will be June 3rd at 11am
So, we’re moving to the eastside and shifting our gathering time 30 minutes to 11am.
I’m excited about the potential for outreach to very residential areas, neighborhood partnerships and the access to major roadways for our growing congregation. For those in our community living on the west side, I’m sorry we’re moving just a few miles east - it looks like drive times for you are increasing just at around 10 minutes. And for those using public transit, we’re already developing plans for those that might want to carpool or ride together. Stay tuned.
I’m sure there are more questions, so please feel free to reach out and we’ll send a second update / FAQ next week.
A tremendous amount of thanks is owed to everyone who helped us search near and far, including Jessica Ferrell, Ali Moore, Nathan & Kristen Rix, our staff team and many more who offered ideas and possibilities.
I’m so grateful to church with all of you. We’re doing something very special.
love and peace,